StatCounter

A glimmery reminder















































When the winter sun does its surprise appearance,

it lights everything aflame

in shades of gold and blush and burnt ochre. 

As if trying to stop little old me in my tracks

in the middle of a hundred errands and to-dos,

which are suddenly thrown in the shadow 

of something much more mesmerising. 



I often bump into an elderly professor emerita and famous author,

who lives in the neighbourhood. 

I don't know her in person at all,

just of her,

but every time she passes me or us by,

she will lift her gaze,

look attentively at both me and the children,

and smile. 

Even when she's clearly in the middle of having

a deep and meaningful conversation

with her significant other close to her side.

There's something about seeing her

that fills me with a warm glow every single time. 

Her presence, warmth, 

and kind curiosity,

like that of a child's 

with sparkling eyes. 




I think it's these winter sun moments,

a few too many meaningless preoccupations,

and the silver-haired lady with her glittery eyes

that have been filling me to the brim with a desire

to be more wholeheartedly present

in what one does,

 in every chance encounter

on the corner of the street,

while the kids are brushing their teeth.

(And, on the flip side,

to surprise oneself by also politely hearing the word

'no' slip out of the mouth,

to make space for what genuinely matters.

I wonder why that's still so hard...) 



I do love that I could always get lost

in this space and a moment with you. 

Let's make the most of the weekend at hand,



Love,

R, x





p.s. thank you for leaving traces of yourselves over the past week,

I'll get back to you really soon, xx













Seawashed said...

A reminder that I will always welcome. Thank you.

As I have gotten older 'no' is easier to say. I think because I am more grounded in who I am and no longer live for others expectations. Your heart desires are good, follow them. Abundant peace to you and yours this Advent.

xxo Kerrie

Doina Manea said...

Beautiful story. Coming here just for the pleasure of reading your words and seeing the world with you.
Love,
Doina from New York

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your beautiful words today. My thoughts exactly as I look at all the
hustle and bustle around me. Enjoy the special moments of each day
Love Liz from Australia

Hildi said...

Beautiful words. Thank you

Ann Kåge said...

What a beautiful story! Perhaps the lovely lady can see the same in you that you can see in her. Just a little thought...
Wish you many beautiful winter days!
Love Ann

Bien chiné said...

Beautiful photos, beautiful story and beautiful Eva Dahlgren's voice.
Perfect for a lovely weekend, Rebecca.
Kisses

Rebecca Skye Watson said...

Thank you Kerrie for your words of encouragement,
it means a lot <3
It's true that saying 'no' has got easier over the years for me, too,
but I think for me it's one of those weak spots
I need to keep tabs on at times.
Take care lovely, xxx


Rebecca Skye Watson said...

Thank you dearest Doina
- and a magical Christmas time to you & yours
in that beautiful city, xxx

Rebecca Skye Watson said...

Yep sweet Liz,
let's grab those peaceful moments in the middle of it all.
Wishing you beautiful days leading up to Christmas down under, xx

Rebecca Skye Watson said...

Ahh, thank *you* Hildi, x

Rebecca Skye Watson said...

That is such a charming thought,
thank you for thinking that and saying that <3

I guess it's one of those ironies in life
that we never actually really know
what others *see* when they see us,
which is why (and I'm reminding myself now)
it's all the more meaningful
when we remember to tell the people in our lives
what it is about them that we appreciate.
Wishing you the same dear Ann,
a very special pre-Christmas time, xx

Rebecca Skye Watson said...

Ahh, Nines dear,
it's actually been decades now (scary thought),
and Eva Dahlgren's voice still continues to haunt
and give me goosebumps...
So strong and delicate at the same time
(similarly to how I view her as a person).
Hugs&kisses back, x

Linda said...

A lovely story, well matched with beautiful photos.

Rebecca Skye Watson said...

Thank you so much Linda, x

Instagram

Sanctuary.